Monday, April 21, 2008

A conversation with Sara

Sara is one of those overly social little girls. So, now I am getting a bit concerned because a sweet old man in Safeway the other day lured her away from me with the the promise of a cookie. I know it sounds so freaky, but he really was just a sweet old man, who, surely, raised his children in another time. I don't think it even occurred to him that this wasn't okay. Well, he said, "Come on, let's go get you a cookie." A started to panic, because I was at the deli counter paying, and she was creeping away from me, toward him, with no bit of hesitation or concern. (Mind you, I was well aware of what was going on the entire time). I just don't want her to think that this is okay, because in another time or place, this could have turned out VERY different...so I told the cashier, I've got to go get her, and took off after her, leaving my things and money all on the counter. I'd rather lose my wallet than my baby! I guided her to the cookie myself, so she didn't accept it from him, and then swooped her up and took her back to the counter. She was blissfully unaware of the inner turmoil I was in at that moment. It really shook me up to see her just follow him and not be the slightest bit concerned. So...I had a conversation with her in the car today about strangers. This is how it went.
"Sara, never talk to strangers"
"But, I like to...I tell them... the truth...and the ABC's"
"You will, huh?"
"Yeah, that's cool"
I guess we have a long way to go toward her understanding this concept. For now, it's my responsibility to keep her in sight at all times and keep her safe. She will talk to ANYONE, anywhere, anytime. Today in the grocery store, she looked at one of the clerks and said "Rock and Roll!!!" (Thanks Uncle Chris) Also, while we were waiting in line, there was a man behind us and she said "Are you waiting your turn?" He laughed, and said he was.
That's my sweet baby girl.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Yeah, stranger danger doesn't kick in quite yet. Which just goes to show that you have to be more careful with #2 because they may "act" older, but they are still just babies.

Kimberlee Adolph said...

scary... but at least she remembers how to rock! :) shes a little light everyone wants a piece of. hang on to that little one!

The Rounds Family said...

I had a incident similar happen. The girls were playing with the gumball machine one step from me while I was paying and Ally followed the guy out that left right before me. I turned around, freaked and looked outside first. Thinking if she is in the store then I will find her, if she is outside she could be gone. She was walking behind the man with her head down. Neither one of them aware of what was going on. When I called her name she looked up, freaked, and ran back. We all have these moments to remind us to be careful. There is a really good movie out there called stranger danger. I have seen commercials for it.
-Lisa

The Rounds Family said...

tvatlas.com
"stranger safety"